Saturday, May 3, 2014

Featured HPKCHC Podcast/Blog

We're starting a new feature on our blog where we will tell you about a podcast or blog that is hosted/written by one or more people in HPKCHC!  These podcasts or blogs are usually focused on some sort of Ravelry sanctioned craft (knitting, crocheting, spinning and weaving) and are all very interesting and would be great for anyone in HPKCHC to watch/read. Personally, I love watching a podcast on some sort of crafting while I'm knitting or crocheting so if you haven't tried it yet, give it a shot!  It's also fun to learn new crafting techniques or just see what other house cuppers are working on, so reading their blogs is also very enjoyable.  
This week we're featuring one of my favorite podcasts called The Weasley Sisters Podcast!


Their podcasts and show notes can be found on their blog at http://theweasleysisterspodcast.wordpress.com/ or the audio only version can be found on iTunes.  It's hosted by 2 sisters, Allena (aka StarKnits on Ravelry) ...

and Jessica (aka NaturallyKnitty on Ravelry) ...


Their podcast is all about knitting, crocheting, weaving, spinning and dyeing and they love to share with their viewers how the projects they complete will be turned in for HPKCHC classes, quidditch, OWLs, NEWTs or Order Missions.  We interviewed each of them and here are their responses ...

When did you start this podcast and what motivated you to start it?  
Allena had the awesome idea of starting a podcast because she was always listening to them.  We both loved the House Cup so we thought we’d give it a go!  We started out as an audio podcast back in June 2011 and actually it was right here on the Gryffindor Blog. We migrated to our own blog not too long after so that more than just Gryffindor could feel like they're a part of the podcast. We also started a ravelry group http://www.ravelry.com/groups/the-weasley-sisters-podcast.  In March 2013, we switched to video.

What types of topics do you discuss in your podcast? Do you have a format you usually follow or just go with the flow?
We talk about the House Cup, knitting, crochet, spinning, sewing, dyeing, weaving, working out, tv and other things that come to mind.  We start out with a welcome and then follow this format: Mojo/No Mojo (where we talk about knit and crochet FOs), WIPs (our knit and crochet works in progress), You Spin Me Right Round (all things spinning), Weaving, Sewing, Working out, Random Randomness (where we talk about things going on in our lives that don’t fit into the other categories).

What type(s) of crafting do you normally do and how long have you been doing them? Are there any techniques, fibers, or types of crafts you’d like to try but haven’t yet?
Allena: Knitting 10 years, crochet 10 years, spinning 4 years, weaving 2 years, dyeing 10 years. There isn’t much I haven’t tried. If I see something I want to try, I usually just do it.
Jessica: Knitting 11 years, crochet 7 years, spinning 8 years, weaving 2 years, dyeing 8 years.  I feel like i do it all because i just love fiber so much i want to try everything!
Which HPKCHC house are you in and what year are you?  How long have you been in that house?  Have you ever been part of one of the other houses?
Allena: I'm in Slytherin and I'm a M3.  I was in Gryffindor for 7-8 terms and then switched to Slytherin.  
Jessica: I'm in Slytherin and I'm a M2.  I started as a NQFY FIVE years ago! (Wow!)  I started out my house cup career as a Gryffindor and was there for about 8 terms.  
What do you normally discuss in your podcast relating to HPKCHC?  The podcast is all about HPKCHC!  On the first of every month, we do a planning podcast where we read the classes and chat about them and give ideas.  We also discuss what we're going to make for the classes or discuss what we're making and how we'll fit them into classes.  
Are you planning to work on an OWL, NEWT or a mission this term?  If so, do you have a project in mind for it yet?
Allena: I'm an OWL mistress (except for the detention OWL).  I'm currently working on a NEWT, which I'm calling the "Epic Washing of All The Fleece"!  Here's her NEWT proposal post.
Jessica: Yes and yes!  I'm a "do all the things" kind of girl.  I'm doing a NEWT that includes 2 twin sized blankets for my boys' beds and a pair of socks.  Here's her NEWT proposal post.  I'll probably knit a sweater for my order mission.  
What's your favorite part about being in HPKCHC?  
Allena: I love how productive it's made me and also getting to know people in the houses.  Real life meetings knock my socks off!  I also really love NEWTs and helping people go crazy and reach their goals.
Jessica: I love the people and friendships I've made but also I love how productive it helps me to be!  I also love that house cup people "get me" ... it's like a second home.

Lastly, here are some interesting things I learned about Allena and Jessica.  Allena is a NEWT examiner, and as she mentioned, she loves helping people reach their NEWT goals.  Jessica someday hopes to own her own small farm with some sheep so she can take the "sheep to sweater" thing to completion.  She wants to share her love of fiber with the world!
Be sure to check out their podcast!

3 comments:

  1. I listened to this podcast for the first time, and loved it! I thought the beginning of month classroom chat was helpful, and it was really interesting to see their NEWTs as someone who has never even dreamed of doing one yet. Fabulous ladies and fabulous highlight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listening to this podcast is how I found HPKCHC. It was the first I'd heard of it! Keep up the good work ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never really known much about Podcasts, Thank you very much for this post. I am enjoying listening.

    ReplyDelete