Saturday, May 24, 2014

Featured HPKCHC Blog

This week we have another great blog to share with you.  It's called Sand and Sky Creations http://sandandskycreations.com/blog/ and it's written by Simone, who's known on Ravelry as sandandsky.  She usually posts a couple times a week about her works in progress and her finished objects.  One of the best things about her blog is all of the pretty pictures she puts up for each of her posts and the beautiful layout of the blog itself.  The blog also includes 15 free patterns and links to a lot of websites/blogs that she loves to read.  Here are just a few of the free patterns she has available ...

We asked Simone some questions and here are her responses ...

When did you start this blog and what motivated you to start it? 
I started blogging back in 2006 as a way to keep track of the projects I was working on and the new techniques I was trying to learn and it evolved from there.

What types of topics do you usually blog about?
I blog most often about spinning and knitting but I enjoy sharing about family adventures, hiking trips and the beautiful island we live on, gardening, and cooking/baking.

What type(s) of crafting do you normally do and how long have you been doing them? 
I have been knitting for 11 years, spinning for 6, dying for 4, and have within the last couple of years gotten more into sewing. I am quite eager to learn how to weave and was gifted an antique table loom but just haven’t been able to squeeze in the time yet … but it is definitely coming! As for fibers, I am often trying out new-to-me fibers for spinning and frequently blog about my experiences with them.

Which HPKCHC house(s) are you in and what year are you? 
I have always played for Gryffindor and I am in the B2 year.

Do you normally fit a project into a class after you’ve finished it or do you usually choose a project based on a class prompt?
It all depends upon what inspires me each month. Most often I find the prompts very intriguing. I like to try challenge myself and at the same time have a lot of fun and the HPKCHC is perfect for this. Other times I see a pattern or fiber that I REALLY want to play with and I’ll pick a class which coincides with what I want to work on.

Are you planning to work on an OWL, NEWT or a mission this term?
I haven’t tried an OWL or a NEWT yet but I am very tempted. I think that this winter coming will be an excellent time to give it a shot because things tend to be a little less busy then.

What’s your favorite part about being in HPKCHC?
My favorite part of participating in HPKCHC is getting to check out all the wonderful projects by the other members. The talent in the group is astronomical and the creativity very inspring.

What can you tell our blog readers that they may not already know about you?
Two things the readers may not know about me is that I am entirely self taught AND I’m left handed. When you teach yourself from pictures in books, trial and error, and youtube videos, you can sometimes come up with odd but totally workable ways to get things done. I had that wonderful experience of finally meeting another fiber lover who knits very similar to me this winter just passed. I don’t know which one of us was more excited!


Definitely check out her blog and all of the great photos she shares, like these!

No comments:

Post a Comment