Thursday, June 26, 2014

Head Girls Interview Series Part 2- Ravenclaw

Hi, and welcome to the second in our series of Head Girl interviews. Every Thursday for the next four weeks we are going to sit down with one of the Head Girls in the Cup. One of the most wonderful things about the Cup is that we get to have fun and get to know others that are as crazy about crafting and Harry Potter as we are. We hope that these interviews provide you with a way to get to know other players and hopefully enhance the connections and friendships we all share.

This week we are sitting down with Ravenclaw Head Girl, OneNeedleKnitting. So grab a cup of tea and your latest project and get cozy while we talk to her about how she found the Cup, what she jobs she has held, what it feels like to be second in command, her favorite past projects and more.


------------------


KMNash: How did you find the Cup?

OneNeedleKnitting: Bijou3owl, a Hufflepuff, did this purely ridiculous scarf, which I came across when I was knitting the same pattern. I found the Cup through her page and never looked back. (well, mostly- I didn’t realize you couldn’t sign up during the term and when I looked in on January 1st, I actually read the rules and then waited patiently for the next term)


KMNash: How long have you been playing the Cup?

OneNeedleKnitting: Since Spring 2011, so this is my 13th term.


KMNash: What year were you when you joined staff, what jobs have you held?

OneNeedleKnitting: I joined the Ravenclaw staff as an adorable second year as Quidditch Captain and held that position for a calendar year or more before moving into a Prefect role, which I also held for ages, before being asked to be Head Girl.


KMNash: What is a Head Girl, what are some of your jobs and things that are expected of you?

OneNeedleKnitting: The Head Girl is the second in command in the House. When people want to start new threads or are confused about things or there are moderating issues, I handle them when the Head of House is not readily available to handle it. I also give input on House Staffing decisions, when the time comes.


KMNash: What are some of the unexpected trials and joys of your current position? (things that are harder to deal with then you thought, and things that are even more fun then you thought)

OneNeedleKnitting: I think the hardest part about being on House Staff in general is figuring out where to draw the line in any situation. We try to be PG, but, does that mean “crap” is offensive? This person seems to continually have the same problem, how many times do offer help before we send a PM suggesting some other resources that aren’t The Tower? Nailing down standards is tricky with a group as diverse in age, background, and country of origin as this one.

My favorite part of the position, I think, is that I invented my own badge to award people, the Bacon of Awesome.Here are all the Bacons awarded thus far. It’s a purely subjective award for something crazypants or funny (often both) that just tickled me the right way.


KMNash: You are kinda next in line for the “throne” as it were, do you think that you would take on Head of House if asked or do you think you would prefer to stay Second in Command?

OneNeedleKnitting: My reign as Head of Ravenclaw House will be as glorious as the golden dawn over the battlefield that lies strewn with the broken needles of our vanquished house foes.

Uhhhh ahem, wait, I mean, yes, I would happily serve my House as Head of House, if the Leadership Team decided I were the best candidate for the position. :-D


KMNash: What would you say is the greatest change to your crafting since joining the cup, what have you improved on the most, be it style or a specific craft or time management etc?

OneNeedleKnitting: Before I joined the Cup, I only knit. Now I can competently crochet (two blankets and some amigurumi to my name!), spin a bit, done some koolaid dyeing, and even a bit of tatting. Time management has taken a massive hit, overall :-D


KMNash: How active are you with OWLS and NEWTS and other Advanced Studies options?

OneNeedleKnitting: I have 10 OWLs, which is pretty good, and that was an average of one a term until I failed two straight (oops). I wanted to complete the set before doing a NEWT, mostly because it functions as a useful excuse to avoid having to plan during the term for a project to start in the break month.


KMNash: Do you have an OWL or NEWT that was especially hard for you to complete?

OneNeedleKnitting: Uh… the ones I’ve failed, for sure :-D. Besides that, no one in particular sticks out.


KMNash: Of all your turn ins to the cup, this term and past, what are some of the ones you are most proud of and what were they turned in for? (providing links to project page or picture would be wonderful)

OneNeedleKnitting: I once squished a quintaped, which was pretty memorable.

Oh, wait, did you mean projects specifically? I’m pretty delighted by the lab rat I made for Erulin9, one of my best friends, as a graduation present for graduation from medical school this semester.



KMNash: When you tell others about the cup what are some of your funnest memories to talk about?

OneNeedleKnitting: Hmm… I think it’s really just the support you get in Ravenclaw. We’re so positive and helpful for every situation and offer such complete sympathy/encouragement/enthusiasm for everyone that it’s hard to beat. There have been great moments- like when DrusillaWormwood made everyone into Egyptian gods- but the fact that I can report getting cheering for translation projects, therapy for a phobia, running a marathon, and family problems with my grandma speaks to how much Ravenclaw is there for you.


KMNash: Do you have any pointers or comments you would like to say to everyone about anything?


OneNeedleKnitting: About anything? ProTip: You have to push the little lever down on the toaster when you put the bread in, or it will be very slow to toast.

KMNash: Thank you so much for you time, advice and for showing us your beautiful work. Thank you for all the hard work you put in to everything you do. 
-----------------
And here is where we will end till next weeks interview. Remember if you need help getting an idea for a class or working something you made into a class the Knight Bus is ready to help. Only a couple more days left if you have not got your class in yet. Also if you are one of the Proud 74, remember you have till the 29th to get out on the Quidditch pitch and score for Gryffindor.

ROAR

No comments:

Post a Comment