Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A Glimpse into Retirement: Interview with Lupingirl


First of all, would you introduce yourself a little bit for newer Gryffindors? 
My name is Lupingirl (or Becca), I’m a B-something or other (whatever the second from the top is), and I was Gryffindor’s Head of House for the last 8 terms. Before that, I was Co-OWL Examiner with FricknFrack of Ravenclaw, and before that, I was FricknFrack’s assistant back when we had only one OWL Examiner. I loved being Head of House the most. It was my dream House Cup job. I never hesitated to let people in my real life know about it, even when that led to some very funny looks, haha! In my real life, I live in Canada with my fiancé, Ken, and our dog, Ilex. We are Americans and have lived here now for a little over a year and a half. Aside from being a knitter and a very beginner crocheter, I also paint and draw and glue and glitter things, and I’m also learning to sew as I go along. I was really proud of the quilt top I made last month and turned in for Divination!
How are you enjoying your “retirement”? 
At first, it felt really weird to not respond and try to “fix” things, but I’m enjoying not being in charge. It’s hard not to poke my nose in a bit, but then I remind myself that AmyPC has totally got this, and I can restrain myself. I think she’s doing great, so far, too! Transitions are tough, and I think she has handled that beautifully.
Is there anything you’re doing now that you couldn’t do before? 
Not that I couldn’t do it before, but I am taking it a bit more easy when it comes to classes. I feel less pressure, and probably will be more productive in the end because of that. Again, not that I couldn’t before, but I’m doing more non-ravelry crafts like learning to sew and quilt. I just got assigned a pattern to test by a handbag designer, which I am SUPER excited about, and that’s probably not something I would have done before because I’d be too worried about the time it might take from being able to knit.
Is there a “best part” of not being in charge any more?
Pretty much just what I said before. I really do feel less pressure and feel more like I can commit time to non-ravelry crafts that I felt like I couldn’t before. I’m excited about seeing where Gryffindor goes with a new leader, too. Also, for the first time in almost 3 years, I have actually cleaned out my inbox here on Ravelry! Woo!
What’s on your needles right now? 
At the moment, I’m working on a cabled pullover called Rebecca for my OWL, a Houndstooth Bandana in red, black, and white (Roll Tide!) for my BROOM, and a hat for charity for Quidditch. I am planning to make a stuffie Camper Van this month, too, for Muggle Studies. (I think that’s the right class?) And some washcloths for the SPEW Games group KAL/CAL!
What are you most looking forward to? 
Yikes! That’s a really open question! As far as knitting, I’m looking forward to finishing my OWL and BROOM, and I’m really looking forward to casting on that Camper Van. I’m looking forward to finishing that quilt and testing that pattern. I just started an Etsy shop last month, and, while I’ve not had time to update it yet, I’m looking forward to really getting that moving. I also just reorganized my studio/craft room/sunroom, and I painted today for the first time since we moved to Canada, so I’m really looking forward to doing more of that – I am going to an Art group Meetup this weekend to do some sketching at an indoor garden and I am really looking forward to that. I’m looking forward to spring and flowers and birds, and to our summer trip – Ken and Ilex and I are going to drive to Alaska! I guess that’s all for now, unless I forgot something, LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment